The Midland was formed in 1908 and acquired a stretch of the old Wollaton Canal, the society then acquired water on the River Trent in 1950 to 1955 the stretches at Caythorpe & Hoveringham.
In the late eighties the Elm Tree pub which was owned by the Shipstones brewery closed the pub was adjacent to the river at Hoveringham they also owned the river frontage.
The Society took out a mortgage and bought the land and fishing rights, which the club then over a number of years have improved and this stretch offers 19 prime pegs with parking behind each peg, and is renowned for its excellent Barbel fishing.
The society also lease 80 pegs above the car park and 40 downstream most of which is owned by Trinity College Cambridge.
The club had a long association with the Wheatsheaf Public house at Bobbers Mill which was the club headquarters for many years, before moving to its present home the Horse & Groom Basford.
The Society organised many open matches in the 70s at the heyday of the river, these matches were always fully booked with anglers travelling from all over the country to fish.
The water has been the venue for many national championships and has produced winning weights on several occasions, and was also a favourite venue for Trent winter leagues.
The Society was a founder member of the Nottingham Federation of Anglers and is still an active member to this day.
In 2011 Midland Angling Society, together with Nottinghamshire County Council Community Projects Scheme, have been able to upgrade the riverside car park and provide seating to enhance the area. Our thanks to Hoveringham Parish Council for their support.
Near the furthest point downstream of our water on the Trent at Hoveringham, there is a memorial to the dead of Lancaster bomber crews who tragically lost their lives while flying in the vicinity of Hoveringham on 29th January, 1945.
The story behind the memorial and the events of the time can be read in a book called ,
Courage Of The Small Hours